Saturday, August 2, 2008

Ultimo Dia en Pre-FBT

Manana we all will leave with our respective groups to go to start our Field Based Training. The 16 of us in Youth Development (Desarollo Juvenil) will be going to Talanga.
I just found out that the family I´ll be living with not only has hot showers, but I also will have my own bathroom! Que estupendo! Not only that, there will be a one-week old baby in my house along with a ten year old boy and eleven year old girl. We will be in Talanga for 5 and a half weeks working with local schools, etc. so that we can better understand what we´ll be doing once we´re sworn in.
Last night some of the locals had a party for us, and it was amazing. We were treated to wonderful (non-tough) steak, sausage, frijoles, and delicious salsa as well as Bacardi and cokes. We all had a great time. A lot of current volunteers have told us about how by Field Based Training, at least a few people had gone back to America. As of now, no one in our group has left yet. I think we have really good solidarity.
I´m attempting to upload some pictures right now, hopefully they´ll go through.
I´m really going to miss my family here, but we´ll be back here for two more weeks after FBT in order to wrap everything up before swearing in.
The spanish is coming along, poco a poco, however I´m really looking forward to FBT because out of all of the Youth Development folks there are only a few that are on or near my level, the rest being on much higher levels, entonces first priority for the tutorias will be for us on the lower levels. Here at the training center there are a lot of classes under my level and so far they´ve gotten priority.
I received my birthday cards yesterday--thank you so much, family! I appreciate it very much.
In Talanga, we have heard that it is very easy to run and exercise. I really need to exercize! There are some places to buy clothes here, but I have yet to find a new running outfit and somehow my running outfit has gone missing. If anyone can send me a sportsbra and running shirt and shorts, I´ll mail a check back. I´m gaining weight here and not liking it one bit! :)
Well the pictures are not uploading. Entonces since I will have internet access in Talanga, I will try again later. Since it´s my last day here, I´m going to spend some more time with the familia anfitriona.
Me Hacen Mucha Falta!!!
Que Les Vaya Bien.
Dora

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you're having a good time...even if you do have to get up at an hour that no human being should ever have to see first thing in the morning.

You're making me want to brush up on my spanish!

Anonymous said...

you sound like you are having such an invigorating experience. i am completely jealous. you have no idea how much i miss you & wish i could talk to you right now. xo.

Anonymous said...

Hi there sweetie!! Will coordinate the things you need on this end and try to get those things to you. Sounds like you are having the time of your life. Love you so!

Anonymous said...

Hey Dora,

I am so glad that your experience is so positive. I'm sorry I didn't send you a birthday card, but glad you weren't lonely!

I'mLe extraño, me hace falta, le echo de menos!!!! hugs - Tia Lori