
these are two of my bad boys in the jardín

relaxing in a hammock after a long hike.

the kids jumping in the pool after the long hike. this is before they discovered the frog in the pool.

one of 40 pictures my baseball team took of each other when they hung out at my house cause we couldnt practice cause of the rain. by the way, thanks dad for the jacket and pants and grandmommy/grandaddy for the boots. theyve totally come in handy. :)

some of the kids on the hike back.
I really want to take note of a few things about Spanish.
I took a short trip into Comayagua yesterday and visited with a current Health volunteer, and had a really good conversation about how much the language aspect of being in a foreign country helps replace the otherwise lack of intellectual stimulation.
He reminded me that it is not the fault of the people here that their culture is so different. It is hard for me to understand how, for example, reading, or writing, or learning about the rest of the world, is not important in the lives of the people. But, the people here have role models who generally choose telenovelas over reading a good book. I can`t say that the United States doesn`t also have this problem, because they do—however, it is more pronounced here. I am also not in a big city, but rather a small town, so the lack of intellectual stimulation in my perspective also is more pronounced.
I have managed to substitute good philosophical debates with learning Spanish, but I have to say that I really do miss those debates. I miss already having the bases covered in that many things go unsaid between friends and me. For example, we don`t necessarily need to discuss God or why we do or don`t believe, though we could, I guess. I think the point I am trying to make is getting lost here, so I`ll continue with the point about Spanish.
Learning a new language has been entirely different than I expected, but has been, as I expected, the most rewarding and challenging part of cultural exchange. Every time I learn new ways of saying things, I still try and translate in my head. I am entirely focused still on the grammatical aspects and differences, though the other volunteer told me yesterday that it is much more impressive to understand colloquialisms and pronunciation. I think he`s right as far as communicating with the people, however, I do want to be able to translate and so I need to focus on the grammar. I am worried, however, that because I was not raised in a bilingual household, that something will always be lacking.
When I am reading, what still gets me is vocabulary. There is, to a certain extent, a way in which to analyze based on context, just as we do so often in our own language. But then there are also the different mannerisms, for example when I am reading fiction, in which characters speak. There is the difference between formal and informal speech, and there is written and spoken. I, for better or worse, tend to speak in a similar manner in which I write. Because I prefer this, I would really like to speak in Spanish in a similar manner to that which is written. Because of this I have been focusing on the written word, although perhaps The Lord of the Rings may place my tongue in an even more foreign place. Time will tell (or, el tiempo va a decir. Which is indeed a phrase in Spanish).
I am missing the aspect of going to class, though I have attempted to study on my own. I also have classes which I myself am the teacher, and I am learning constantly from this. My main projects seem to be teaching health and physical education as well as English to kindergarteners, working with the library on computer classes, youth leadership, improving reading habits, and increasing funding, with the group Educatodos to improve reading, English and self-esteem, my baseball team (which is providing much needed laughter!) on the skills of team-building, playing the actual sport, and leadership), and hopefully with the school and high school, though I haven`t quite gotten there yet. The volunteer that I spoke with yesterday assured me that what they said was right—you need to take time for yourself in this position. I am very quick to judge at first:`oh, that volunteer is just lazy`, etc. But now I am beginning to understand that the quicker you rush into something and the more quickly you fly through it, the easier it is to fail and burn out. Taking the work slow is important because the Peace Corps is about progress and more of a grassroots effect as opposed to a handout or a revolution. Though, a revolution eventually may be what this country needs.
The people of Honduras don`t seem to have a grasp on consumer rights, nor on true equality. We talked yesterday about how poorly paid the bus drivers are—for example, with gas at about 80 lempiras a gallon, a ticket for me to get from my town to Comayagua (about 30-45 minutes away) is only 18 lempiras. This is a smaller bus, too. In the States I would say a bus this big would fit 10 people, maximum. But because of the need of the drivers to make money, they will cram as much as 17 or even 20 people. It is unsafe, terribly claustrophobic, and terribly uncomfortable. Also if you take a larger bus, you have to pay just as much money to stand, lets say, for 2 hours, as sit. This is unfair and technically, I believe, illegal, however, no one regulates these systems. Some larger buses are subsidized by the government but as far as I can see the `government subsidies` here are about as hard to fan as a happy Boston fan.
But we wondered yesterday---how much would it take for a Honduran to stand up and say: you know, I`m not going to pay for this. This is uncomfortable and you guys need to do a better job.
It`s hard because the drivers aren`t making enough money. And you can usually find a jalon, (hitch-hiking here is more than common, and while it is discouraged by the Peace Corps, often times you may not have other options, and so it is recommendable to get to know the drivers, and at all costs avoid the drunk ones), however, while I`ve yet to try long distance jalones I must say standing in the back of a pick up truck for two hours crammed with 20 other people (or more) does not look fun.
One point that my friend made yesterday resonated: while the lack of revolutionary spirit and intellectual stimulation may be unavoidable, it is still not too hard to find someone to have a truly meaningful conversation with. And this I have found absolutely true. The women here have provided me with constant reflection, thought, grace, and joy. My first host mother is already a very close friend of mine. I don`t see a time in my life that I could forget her. She talked to me about nature and history and the people here and the culture and what she thought. She has helped my transition more than anyone else. My Spanish and Culture facilitators in Peace Corps, especially my Spanish teacher Vidette, helped me through training. Vidette`s words not only helped me feel like I could communicate in Spanish before I really could, but also reminded me that I am here for other, less selfish reasons. She reminded me that we can actually change this country, or help them to change themselves. It seems to be easy to be pessimistic here—the hard thing is staying optimistic.
On that note, I must say that this is a breathtakingly beautiful country with amazing people, and I am grateful to be here. My current host mother is amazing, and very smart. I do have wonderful conversations with her. I think that with time I will grow to understand the people more. I think with time I can help with some basic knowledge in my town. For example, during baseball practice there was an unbelievable moon the other day. It was just beautiful. And then I saw Venus, and when I pointed out that Venus was shining, they argued with me and said that Venus could not possibly be a star, that it is a planet. Things like this, I think I can change, little by little. The most important for my future is the development of patience during cultural exchange and language learning, as well as starting to teach foreign language, which I absolutely love and think may just be what I`ll do some day. Although being paid to study linguistics and language learning would be the ultimate job.
I`m ready to start traveling and taking pictures of things I`ve never seen, but unfortunately need to wait another 2 months. I want to see Copán, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Belize (Dangriga especially, where Julie is now! She just moved to her new site in Belize today. How exciting!!!), and everywhere else here and luckily, now I have the Spanish skills to do it. … Just doing it with the volunteer salary will be tricky.
So I think Tampa Bay smashed the Sox last night but the cable went out after the 7th inning so, it`s possible I guess that the Sox came back from a 7-0 deficit but I don`t know because most websites (including MLB) aren`t working right now. Five years ago if someone told you we`d have a Phillies-Tampa Bay match-up, what would you have said? :)
I have to say that I am settling in. I love how much personal time I have, and I love even more how much work I have and have available. I have heard many volunteers who say that they don`t have much work and that often it is hard to find, however, I don`t see that happening here in my little, precious town. I hope that at least some of my close friends and family will have a chance to visit and understand more clearly what is Honduras and San Jerónimo. I know I speak of the sad and scary things, because I am very much affected by these differences, but really the hospitality and generosity of the people is quite overwhelming.
For those of you who have sent packages, I`ll be traveling in to Tegucigalpa in November sometime and if they`re there, I`ll get them. I`ll be sure to let you know. Thank you sooooo much!!!!!
I`m trying to upload some pictures, but only 4 have come up. More next time... Until next time.

relaxing in a hammock after a long hike.

the kids jumping in the pool after the long hike. this is before they discovered the frog in the pool.

one of 40 pictures my baseball team took of each other when they hung out at my house cause we couldnt practice cause of the rain. by the way, thanks dad for the jacket and pants and grandmommy/grandaddy for the boots. theyve totally come in handy. :)

some of the kids on the hike back.
I really want to take note of a few things about Spanish.
I took a short trip into Comayagua yesterday and visited with a current Health volunteer, and had a really good conversation about how much the language aspect of being in a foreign country helps replace the otherwise lack of intellectual stimulation.
He reminded me that it is not the fault of the people here that their culture is so different. It is hard for me to understand how, for example, reading, or writing, or learning about the rest of the world, is not important in the lives of the people. But, the people here have role models who generally choose telenovelas over reading a good book. I can`t say that the United States doesn`t also have this problem, because they do—however, it is more pronounced here. I am also not in a big city, but rather a small town, so the lack of intellectual stimulation in my perspective also is more pronounced.
I have managed to substitute good philosophical debates with learning Spanish, but I have to say that I really do miss those debates. I miss already having the bases covered in that many things go unsaid between friends and me. For example, we don`t necessarily need to discuss God or why we do or don`t believe, though we could, I guess. I think the point I am trying to make is getting lost here, so I`ll continue with the point about Spanish.
Learning a new language has been entirely different than I expected, but has been, as I expected, the most rewarding and challenging part of cultural exchange. Every time I learn new ways of saying things, I still try and translate in my head. I am entirely focused still on the grammatical aspects and differences, though the other volunteer told me yesterday that it is much more impressive to understand colloquialisms and pronunciation. I think he`s right as far as communicating with the people, however, I do want to be able to translate and so I need to focus on the grammar. I am worried, however, that because I was not raised in a bilingual household, that something will always be lacking.
When I am reading, what still gets me is vocabulary. There is, to a certain extent, a way in which to analyze based on context, just as we do so often in our own language. But then there are also the different mannerisms, for example when I am reading fiction, in which characters speak. There is the difference between formal and informal speech, and there is written and spoken. I, for better or worse, tend to speak in a similar manner in which I write. Because I prefer this, I would really like to speak in Spanish in a similar manner to that which is written. Because of this I have been focusing on the written word, although perhaps The Lord of the Rings may place my tongue in an even more foreign place. Time will tell (or, el tiempo va a decir. Which is indeed a phrase in Spanish).
I am missing the aspect of going to class, though I have attempted to study on my own. I also have classes which I myself am the teacher, and I am learning constantly from this. My main projects seem to be teaching health and physical education as well as English to kindergarteners, working with the library on computer classes, youth leadership, improving reading habits, and increasing funding, with the group Educatodos to improve reading, English and self-esteem, my baseball team (which is providing much needed laughter!) on the skills of team-building, playing the actual sport, and leadership), and hopefully with the school and high school, though I haven`t quite gotten there yet. The volunteer that I spoke with yesterday assured me that what they said was right—you need to take time for yourself in this position. I am very quick to judge at first:`oh, that volunteer is just lazy`, etc. But now I am beginning to understand that the quicker you rush into something and the more quickly you fly through it, the easier it is to fail and burn out. Taking the work slow is important because the Peace Corps is about progress and more of a grassroots effect as opposed to a handout or a revolution. Though, a revolution eventually may be what this country needs.
The people of Honduras don`t seem to have a grasp on consumer rights, nor on true equality. We talked yesterday about how poorly paid the bus drivers are—for example, with gas at about 80 lempiras a gallon, a ticket for me to get from my town to Comayagua (about 30-45 minutes away) is only 18 lempiras. This is a smaller bus, too. In the States I would say a bus this big would fit 10 people, maximum. But because of the need of the drivers to make money, they will cram as much as 17 or even 20 people. It is unsafe, terribly claustrophobic, and terribly uncomfortable. Also if you take a larger bus, you have to pay just as much money to stand, lets say, for 2 hours, as sit. This is unfair and technically, I believe, illegal, however, no one regulates these systems. Some larger buses are subsidized by the government but as far as I can see the `government subsidies` here are about as hard to fan as a happy Boston fan.
But we wondered yesterday---how much would it take for a Honduran to stand up and say: you know, I`m not going to pay for this. This is uncomfortable and you guys need to do a better job.
It`s hard because the drivers aren`t making enough money. And you can usually find a jalon, (hitch-hiking here is more than common, and while it is discouraged by the Peace Corps, often times you may not have other options, and so it is recommendable to get to know the drivers, and at all costs avoid the drunk ones), however, while I`ve yet to try long distance jalones I must say standing in the back of a pick up truck for two hours crammed with 20 other people (or more) does not look fun.
One point that my friend made yesterday resonated: while the lack of revolutionary spirit and intellectual stimulation may be unavoidable, it is still not too hard to find someone to have a truly meaningful conversation with. And this I have found absolutely true. The women here have provided me with constant reflection, thought, grace, and joy. My first host mother is already a very close friend of mine. I don`t see a time in my life that I could forget her. She talked to me about nature and history and the people here and the culture and what she thought. She has helped my transition more than anyone else. My Spanish and Culture facilitators in Peace Corps, especially my Spanish teacher Vidette, helped me through training. Vidette`s words not only helped me feel like I could communicate in Spanish before I really could, but also reminded me that I am here for other, less selfish reasons. She reminded me that we can actually change this country, or help them to change themselves. It seems to be easy to be pessimistic here—the hard thing is staying optimistic.
On that note, I must say that this is a breathtakingly beautiful country with amazing people, and I am grateful to be here. My current host mother is amazing, and very smart. I do have wonderful conversations with her. I think that with time I will grow to understand the people more. I think with time I can help with some basic knowledge in my town. For example, during baseball practice there was an unbelievable moon the other day. It was just beautiful. And then I saw Venus, and when I pointed out that Venus was shining, they argued with me and said that Venus could not possibly be a star, that it is a planet. Things like this, I think I can change, little by little. The most important for my future is the development of patience during cultural exchange and language learning, as well as starting to teach foreign language, which I absolutely love and think may just be what I`ll do some day. Although being paid to study linguistics and language learning would be the ultimate job.
I`m ready to start traveling and taking pictures of things I`ve never seen, but unfortunately need to wait another 2 months. I want to see Copán, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Belize (Dangriga especially, where Julie is now! She just moved to her new site in Belize today. How exciting!!!), and everywhere else here and luckily, now I have the Spanish skills to do it. … Just doing it with the volunteer salary will be tricky.
So I think Tampa Bay smashed the Sox last night but the cable went out after the 7th inning so, it`s possible I guess that the Sox came back from a 7-0 deficit but I don`t know because most websites (including MLB) aren`t working right now. Five years ago if someone told you we`d have a Phillies-Tampa Bay match-up, what would you have said? :)
I have to say that I am settling in. I love how much personal time I have, and I love even more how much work I have and have available. I have heard many volunteers who say that they don`t have much work and that often it is hard to find, however, I don`t see that happening here in my little, precious town. I hope that at least some of my close friends and family will have a chance to visit and understand more clearly what is Honduras and San Jerónimo. I know I speak of the sad and scary things, because I am very much affected by these differences, but really the hospitality and generosity of the people is quite overwhelming.
For those of you who have sent packages, I`ll be traveling in to Tegucigalpa in November sometime and if they`re there, I`ll get them. I`ll be sure to let you know. Thank you sooooo much!!!!!
I`m trying to upload some pictures, but only 4 have come up. More next time... Until next time.


1 comment:
Hi Dora,
I am Gabe's dad (the real one, not the Rio Negro one) and when he mentioned your name on the phone, I put 2+2 together from your blog. Keep up the good work. It is fun to watch your life grow there.
Give my best to my son when you see him, and tell him to eat more!
Jim
Post a Comment