
decorate the burra day. this was funny/sad. as are a lot of things here. i think i´ll get used to it. kind of like the mets crashing at the end of every season. funny/sad. you know.


the really really special biblioteca, aprender haciendo
the view of comayagua mountain´s cloud forest.

Well, just as baseball season is wrapping up in the states, I´ve begun our practice here with my team. It´s really very fun. My pitcher is awesome but he´s already 13 and so won´t be able to play in June for the campeonato. :( The throwing isn´t too bad, the hitting is pretty good, the kids are fast, there´s one girl that´s great---BUT they´ve got a terrible time catching the ball. Last night about 7 runners were able to make it home sólo por culpa de agarradores.

Well, just as baseball season is wrapping up in the states, I´ve begun our practice here with my team. It´s really very fun. My pitcher is awesome but he´s already 13 and so won´t be able to play in June for the campeonato. :( The throwing isn´t too bad, the hitting is pretty good, the kids are fast, there´s one girl that´s great---BUT they´ve got a terrible time catching the ball. Last night about 7 runners were able to make it home sólo por culpa de agarradores.
If anyone perchance ever comes across some good resources for coaches of baseball I´d love that. Especially in Español...
My host dad is only 60 but has an open valve in his heart. The doctors in Tegucigalpa told him on his birthday that he´d have to have open heart surgery at a whopping 200,000 lemps, expensive for anyone (about 10,000 dollars).
My host mom seems tired.
I´ve been working in the kindergarten here and the teachers are FABULOUS but I´m just not used to the atmosphere. Their work during class consists of copying letters or numbers over and over again. I come in 3 days a week to teach English and Physical Education. If anyone has great ideas on teaching these subjects to classrooms of 40 or more 4 or 5 year olds, let me know :)
I´ve been drinking so much coffee. I think it´s just better here, but I really don´t know. My host parents were in Tegucigalpa staying with their kids for a couple days to see the doctor and celebrate Luis´s birthday and so I was in the house alone, which was so nice. I can´t tell you how much I miss personal space. I think the Peace Corps might find it good to give the volunteers just one day in between training and starting work to hang out and do whatever they want. Even if that means just trying to find a place to be alone and not be stared at.
I´ve started running in the mornings again. Thank god. It is hard to wake up at 5:30 or 6 to run but once I´m up I feel much better, and there are lots of girls and women who want someone to run with. I just feel bad when they can run longer than me, which is rare but happens, because I´m the American who is supposed to be able to run marathons, etc.
I haven´t been taking as many fotos because I feel sort of funny taking them here, and I don´t want to take them in Comayagua because there that would mean: Hi, Please Rob Me. I´m white and probably have more cool stuff in my bag.
Speaking of cool stuff, I´m speaking with more fluidity in spanish. But I do need to start making time in my days to just study. I´ve been reading the Lord of the Rings in spanish, which is awesome. That´s good practice. Right now though, after all this learning, and after the whole subjunctive tense which we don´t really have in english, I´m still finding the most difficult is preterite tense. And when I really wanna say something fast. :)
That´s all for now. Things are going well. It´s raining very hard here. I think I´ll be heading up to Río Negro this weekend to see the waterfalls and maybe visit another volunteer.
I´ll be sure to post pictures soon.



No comments:
Post a Comment