Almost time to go!As you know, I've been preparing for my hiatus from the U.S. since May. (A whopping two months.) I've got two more days here and really, I've surprised myself! I was planning on getting rid of all of my things for the most part, but my sweet, well-meaning mother reminded me that I'll be back in two years and probably want some of it. So, I proceeded to pack about 12 boxes. So much for that.
I've done a really good job packing, though. I am way under the packing requirements for Peace Corps, which say that your checked baggage can't weigh more than 80 pounds. I can't imagine actually lugging around that much!
I thought of getting a new computer, but decided with dad that just buying the replacement battery and extra RAM for my laptop now would be sufficient. We did put it off until the last minute, however, and now I will put my faith in the US Postal Service and trust that I'll receive these all-important computer pieces at the hotel in D.C.
Dad and I are making the trip up Sunday. On the way, we're going to stop at the Jefferson Pools in Warm Springs, VA. Then we'll be staying in a hotel in Virginia on Sunday night, and "staging" begins on Monday morning. By this point I'll no longer have my cell phone, but will have calling cards.
I'm sort of feeling past the sentimental, anxious, or even nervous part. I'm sort of just like you, waiting for something I know very little about. In a way, I think it's better. The more ideas I have of what it will be like, the more wrong I feel.
I think that the most important piece of advice I've acquired from Peace Corps volunteers, whether they be older and returned, or still in service, is that no matter what your expectations, things will be different. It's not as though I'm assuming the worst (if you have no expectations, you can't be disappointed), it's more that I'd rather not have expectations so that I can really enjoy whatever happens. Except anacondas and diarrhea. Hmm...
I do want to outline how I would like the blog to turn out, although expectations will be unmet or exceeded and the blog's format will likely change.
There are certain focuses that I'd like to stick to, that I think will help me to stay on track toward the comprehension of language translation, linguistic variation; a better understanding of 'the whole child,' primary schooling, literacy; Spanish, jokes in Spanish (seriously I need to learn some jokes), idiomatic phrases I think you'll enjoy; cooking, the actual experience; etc.
Since a lot of you have experience with a lot of these topics, I'd really like your feedback along the way. I think it'd be great to hear your opinions of what ideas of mine you think will work, or what ideas won't.
Now, let's just hope I have internet access this whole time.
If I don't, we'll figure something out. I'll sure miss you!
6 comments:
I'm sure-a that dor-a the explor-a will find Hondur-a(s) mor-a reward-a(ng) than mangled word-a(ng). Pha sho. Cuidate con los hombres, hita, y imagínete que tu eres el estudiante - tu no enseña, tu aprende.
Showing Granddaddy how to use this and not even sure I did it right. Much love!
Did you get your birthday message yesterday? I don't see it. It was just full of sentimental stuff and much love. Grandmommy
Hola my darling girl!! Hope your adventure is everything you have hope4d for. Got your message from Dad this morning. Love, love!! Mom
Our Precious Girl,
Loved hearing your voice but so sorry we missed your call. We've tried to call back but Verizon says we need an area code. I think we have the correct number from your mom through your dad. We'll try again. Thrilled that you are happy but miss you so much. Love you dearly, GM and YOG
Dearest Dora, "The Explora",
"So disappointed" we missed you
w/your phone call this past week-
end. Your Mom was here w/us just
departing The Lodge as your call
came in and we couldn't get to U
in time. On Well, "Next Time"!!!!!
Wonderful to hear "all is well" &
exceeding your every expectation.
We'll be thrilled to receive more
imput and pictures from you - we
can't wait. Talk More Soon - Love,
"YOG"/Your Old Granddad @ Meinelt2
meinelt2@nc.rr.com - Back Online!
Post a Comment